The 12th Australasian permaculture convergence held at Penguin in early March was a milestone in the return of permaculture to its Tasmanian origins. With a few too many great distractions I missed 75% of the sessions but was lucky enough to see Kat Lavers Skyping from Melbourne with her caring for your worm-farm presentation (watch those […]
While the only poet named among Australia’s 100 Living National Treasures is Les Murray, Venie Holmgren is a splendid candidate to add to the list. At 92, the writer and poet can look back on a life of activism, adventure and enterprise. And that life is far from over as she works on what she […]
Keynote Address to 12th Australasian Permaculture Convergence Penguin Tasmania March 2015 PDF of text Outline Over the last 8 years David Holmgren’s Future Scenarios work has provided a framework through which permaculture, transition and kindred activists have better understood, navigated and even taken advantage of the chaotic changes unfolding in our world driven by peaking resources, environmental […]
Back in October David Holmgren was inducted into the Green Lifestyle Hall of Fame. A follow-up an interview with Katrina Lezaic published in Green Lifestyle Magazine focused on the links between the origins of permaculture and the energy crises of the 1970s. “The origin point for the first big wave of environmentalism was really the […]
While gardening alone in the Spring busy period without the need to plan and direct volunteers, I have had more time for reflection. One of the subjects for reflection was my elevation to the Green Lifestyle Hall of Fame. By chance I had just read a series of articles by Kari McGregor (part 1, part […]
About one hundred people gathered on the steps of the Victorian parliament house on 19 Feb 2015 to rally for fair, real and local food. Organised by Regrarians, the rally attendants heard from Lisa Heenan (Regrarians), Costa Georgiadis (Gardening Australia), Cyndi O’Meara (Changing Habits), Joel Salatin (Polyface Farms), Tammi Jonas (Jonai Farms), Reg Matthews (Miranda […]
My essay “Crash On Demand” was the primary influence in framing this year’s Great debate at the Sustainable Living Festival in Melbourne, so we felt that I had to make time to be there (in the middle of our Rocklyn Ashram residential PDC plus peak fruit and honey harvest). With an audience of over 250 it […]
We have many visitors at Melliodora. Friends and neighbours drop in, or pick up veggie boxes and bulk food through Hepburn Relocalisation Network. We have people coming here to take part in our monthly garden and house tours. More than 100 people have come through the gate for both tours this season. They go home inspired and […]
February is a great time to be in Melbourne. The weather is warm and the whole city is abuzz with “sustainability” events. Albeit only for a month, it is still warming to see a whole lot of people embracing the concept of sustainability. Naturally the man who once chose the subtitle of his book to […]
On Earth Matters radio program, broadcast on 3CR on Jan 11, David Holmgren discussed the merit of tree crops and supplementing grain fields with tree crops, with fellow tree crops enthusiasts Darren Doherty and Byron Joel. They shared their thoughts on the benefits of this system and the work of making it a reality. You […]
Every year in the month of February, Melbourne hosts the Sustainable Living Festival. The 16th annual festival offers a large choice of events of interest. We highly recommend you attend if you are in the zone. Find out more about the festival on its website. Since its inception four years ago, the Great Debate has […]
Essence of Permaculture – eBook
Tags for articles
- Crash on Demand: Welcome to the Brown Tech Future December 12, 2013
- Money vs Fossil Energy: The battle for control of the world June 21, 2010
- Crash on Demand, the discussion so far February 6, 2014
- ‘Survive and Thrive’ Foss and Holmgren to tour June 10, 2014
- Essence of Permaculture – free download November 1, 2002
- APC12 recap April 6, 2015
- The Guardian piece April 1, 2015
- Permaculture activism in the Brown Tech Future March 10, 2015
- Green Lifestyle interview (and Award reflections) March 6, 2015
- Shades of Green(Lifestyle) Awards Reflection March 6, 2015
- Intermingling | 16Blue: […] essentially design based on ecological p...
- Melliodora – a permaculture tour with David Holmgren: […] Book a tour! Sustainable house and garde...
- APC12 recap - Holmgren Permaculture Design for Sustainable Living: […] Each of the key note speakers deserve th...
- Maureen: I can see workshops and brainstorming for each of ...
- Robert: Thank you Nathan for this interesting reply, Mr. H...
Explore the principles
The Hepburn Relocalisation Network
- APC12 recap http://t.co/3ieM8PTTBG 2 weeks ago
- The Guardian piece http://t.co/xY7hADv2mV 3 weeks ago
- Permaculture activism in the Brown Tech Future http://t.co/ZmGIG2e8ic 1 month ago
- Green Lifestyle interview (and Award reflections) http://t.co/HR5rU2rUd9 2 months ago
- Shades of Green(Lifestyle) Awards Reflection http://t.co/mI9smYta2M 2 months ago